Deep Chemical Peels Columbus, Ohio is the deepest chemical peel available for skin resurfacing. Deep chemical peels not only cause exfoliation of the outer epidermis, but also penetrate into the top layers of the dermis. In so doing, deep chemical peels set off a reaction in the skin to reorganize and make new collagen. The new skin is fresher, smoother and tighter. At Columbus Facial Plastics, board certified facial plastic surgeon Dr. Stephen Nogan believes in the tried and true results of TCA Chemical Peels. With a 35% Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) chemical peel, expect the recovery process to take at least a week. Makeup can usually be applied by the 7th day, when normal activity can also be resumed. Results will typically last for 12–24 months. To see a true change in skin, there must be a reaction. The TCA Peel will produce a significant reaction and, in turn, will produce a tremendous result. This peel is one of the most effective deep chemical peels available. It has been used by board certified facial plastic surgeons for years because of it’s efficacy.
Number of Peels
1 peel every 12-18 months
Face, Neck, Chest
You should expect peeling, redness, swelling and brown crispy skin and occasional swelling. Specific skin care product protocol is necessary for optimum results.
How much is a deep chemical peel in Columbus, Ohio?
A Deep Chemical Peel at Columbus Facial Plastics consists of 35% TCA (Trichloroacetic Acid). This peel is done by our board certified facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Stephen Nogan with the assistance of our director of skin care, Dina Maynard. TCA is among the most effect chemical peels available, which is evident based on the results. Patients can expect to see softer lines and wrinkles, healthier, glowing skin, and better tone and texture. There is also a small degree of tightening with a TCA peel.
Why Choose a deep chemical peel?
We all have our own comfort level on skin care. Some patients will start early and have procedures to prevent the need to more invasive procedures later on, other patients want a significant result and can take down-time to achieve this. Some patients view chemical peels as a progressive treatment, they will start with a Light peel and work themselves up to a deep chemical peel over the years. Every procedure requires a consultation. During your consultation appointment, we will listen t0 your concerns and assist you in choosing the best chemical peel for you and your lifestyle. We use Visia skin analysis and take a photo of your skin prior to your peel which allows us to measure the results from your TCA Chemical peel.
All Deep Grade Chemical Peel patients are followed by one of our highly qualified providers. We will follow you through the process and coach you on skin care products and over all skin health. We have developed a system to help prolong the benefits of a deep grade chemical peel.
What can skin resurfacing treat?
There are various levels of chemical peels. Depending on if you choose light, medium or deep, these are some of conditions that can be treated with skin resurfacing:
- Static Wrinkles: These wrinkles are visible at all times and do not change in appearance with facial movement.
- Dynamic Wrinkles: These are expression lines that may appear as folds when the skin is not moving and may deepen with facial movement or expression.
- Pigmentation: Freckles, sunspots, melasma, or other darkened patches of skin result mainly from sun exposure.
- Scars: As a result of acne or injury to the skin, scars may be rolling (a wavy appearance to the skin), pitted, discolored, or have raised borders.
- Vascular Conditions: Blood vessels visible on the surface of the skin, vascular lesions that appear as tiny blood filled blisters, or even a constant flush of facial redness.
- Skin Tone: Weakening of the supportive skin structures (collagen and elastin fibers) that result in a loss of skin firmness are improved with a deep chemical peel.
How can skin care products help me?
At Columbus Facial Plastics, we require all patients to use a specific skin care protocol prior to a deep chemical peel. This protocol is proven to lessen the risks of a change in skin pigmentation following a deep chemical peel. Medical-grade skin care products help to improve your skin’s appearance and to rejuvenate healthy skin cells. It is important to use a regimen that is right for your skin type and lifestyle. We will help you define that regimen as part of your skin care consultation and treatment plan.
The Columbus Facial Plastics Difference:
We focus on the science of skin care. As a team, we value education and are constantly learning because we are passionate about what we do. Dr. Stephen Nogan actively participates in all treatment plans for new patients and with so many options available today, it is important to trust your face to a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Dr. Nogan and team work together to develop individual treatment plans that will address your concerns and meet your expectations. We use VISIA Skin Analysis to measure treatment results because skin care should not be subjective. We will help you feel confident that you are receiving the correct treatment and products to achieve your healthiest skin and the appearance that you want.
Schedule Your Consultation
Interested in learning more about your options for a renewed complexion? Contact us today at Columbus Facial Plastics to schedule a consultation. 614-436-8888
TCA Chemical Peel Instructions:
This information will thoroughly prepare you for what to expect before, during and after your TCA Chemical Peel. Our purpose is to make your experience as pleasant as possible. If you have any questions or concerns after reviewing this information, please bring them to our attention.
Patient Responsibility Regarding Illnesses
An unexpected illness, skin rash or Cold Sore may necessitate canceling or rescheduling your peel. Changes in your health (any new rashes such as poison ivy, upper respiratory infection, sinus infections, new allergy diagnosis, or other surgeries, cold sores, fever, pregnancy) should be reported to us as soon as possible. It is best to avoid behaviors that could increase your risk of exposure to illness or infections, particularly poison ivy. In most cases, when informed quickly, medication may be prescribed which can prevent cancelation of your peel.
Before Your Peel:
- YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE- Tretinoin Cream, gentle cleanser and Aquaphor
- AT LEAST TEN DAYS BEFORE PEEL- Begin using your Tretinoin product.
- TWO DAYS BEFORE PEEL- Stop using your Tretinoin Cream and all prescribed facial creams. Do not resume use until instructed to do so.
- THREE DAYS BEFORE PEEL- If the area to be peeled includes around the mouth, you will be started on Zovirax (anti-viral medication) three days before the peel and will continue Zovirax for at least a week following the peel. This minimizes the risk of developing cold sores/fever blisters. It is important to contact the office immediately both before and after your procedure if you develop unusual tingling of your lip or the early stages of a cold sore.
- MORNING of Peel- Wash face thoroughly- do not apply any product
After Your Peel:
- Prior to leaving the office, Aquaphor will be generously applied.
- You may experience a feeling similar to severe sunburn in the treated area for several hours or more after the procedure, depending on extent of treatment. You may also experience some swelling and/or a throbbing sensation within the first 24 hours. These side effects may be diminished by gently splashing the skin with cool water 5-6 times a day. Or you may use a cool compress, intermittently.
- Apply Aquaphor 4-5 times a day. If you are going out of the house during the healing period, your own facial moisturizer will suffice, but apply the Aquaphor upon your return.
- There will be redness to the skin on the peeled areas for 24-48 hours following which the skin may darken and appear wrinkled. Small blisters may occur. On the third or fourth day, the skin will flake and shed itself.
- Wash your face twice a day by using the Gentle Cleanser; lather in your hand and use fingertips to gently cleanse the face. Rinse with lukewarm water and gently pat dry.
- NO picking, rubbing, or unnecessary touching of the face; this can cause scarring.
- Please call the office immediately if you suspect a cold sore is developing before or after the procedure.
- The average TCA peel may take 5-7 days to heal. At the completion of the healing, the skin may be faintly pink and blotchy, which will usually fade over a 3-5 day period.
UV EXPOSURE- Protection from sunlight is absolutely essential for six months after the procedure. The first two months are the most critical. It is important that you commit to staying out of the sun. Splotchy pigmentation may result if sun exposure is not limited. Using a quality sunscreen with SPF of at least 30 and containing both UVA and UVB protection daily, wearing a brimmed hat, and using sunglasses are essential.